Tuesday, September 27, 2016

When you're an (almost) college grad.

If you have ever been an (almost) college graduate like me, you'll probably be able to relate to this post. Lately people have been loving to ask me what my plans are after I graduate. And you would think that after how many times I have been asked I would have an actual answer, but I don't. I usually reply by saying, "It's going to be a surprise for both you and me!" This response is not meant to sound rude or standoffish because, trust me, if I knew what my future plans entailed, I would happily share them with you without hesitation. Instead, my response is just an attempt to make a serious question a little less scary. Honestly though, when does one find out what their next step is after they graduate from college? Too bad my diploma isn't going to give me a clue to where I am supposed to go next. That would be super helpful. (If anyone has an answer to this question and is keeping it to themself, please let me know, because time is not on my side and in a few months I will be entering into the next phase of my life. *cue scary music*)

I have done a whole lot of thinking about what I would want to wake up every day and do. I still don't know the answer to that...sorry. What I do know is that I am the kind of person who, like most people, has dreams. A few years ago I made a bucket list. It's pretty much a list of a bunch of silly little things like trying every flavor of Ben & Jerry's ice cream or learning how to surf. While I still want to accomplish most of the things on that list, I think it's in serious need of a revision. A brand new bucket list with bigger dreams and goals. One with adventures so crazy that they may never actually happen. One with dreams and goals so big that they will stretch me way outside of my comfort zone and make me grow as a person. I want to see beautiful sights that make my eyes well up with tears and leave me in awe of God's creations. I want experiences that I will tell my future kids about. I don't want to grow old and regret not living in the moment. I want to make a difference in someone's life. I want to bring happiness to whoever I can and show God's love to anyone and everyone. I want to travel to as many places as I can and meet people that I will never forget. I want to do big things. (So if anyone knows what job that is...hook a sista up!)

I've heard that if you try to plan out your own life you will probably under plan it. God always has something so much better planned for us than we could ever conjure up ourselves. Does anyone else find this to be so exciting?! I find so much comfort in knowing that if I surrender to God's will He will take care of me. As much as I think I have to worry about my future, I am so thankful I don't actually have to worry about it! I know Jeremiah 29:11 is such a commonly used verse, but reading it brings me so much peace when I start feeling like I have to have a specific 5-year plan ready for after I graduate. "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." He knows and He cares. I have been loving the song Your Promises by Elevation Worship lately and the lyrics say,

"As I walk into the days to come
I will not forget what You have done
For You have supplied my every need
And Your presence is enough for me."


So to any other person who is in the same boat as I am and could afford to buy a new car if they had $1 for every time they were asked about their plans after graduation...(okay, I'm exaggerating)...but seriously, find your comfort in knowing that if you surrender to God's will you can rest in knowing that He has made you, He will carry you, He will sustain you, and He will rescue you. (Isaiah 46:4)

Oh and to answer the lingering question (in a serious way) of what my plans are for after I graduate... I am going to hold God's hand and follow Him wherever He leads me, and I'll be sure to let y'all know when I figure out what that next step is. :)

xoxo LS