Friday, October 21, 2016

Something extra to show you God loves you

I have to start this post by saying that I love my church so much. Last Sunday everyone had a little card waiting on their pew that said something extra to show you God loves you and at the end of the service we were all challenged to do a random act of kindness and hand out our cards that we prayed over in a way that would make someone's day a little bit brighter. I thought about what I was going to do the whole drive back to campus Sunday night, and I was ready for the week to start so I could hand out my card.

My week's schedule looked a little something like this: homework due on Tuesday, a Microbiology test on Wednesday, a nutrition test on Thursday, a group debate Thursday night, a quiz due Thursday night, and a Microbiology lab on Friday. Talk about stressed out. So as soon as I made it back to my apartment Sunday night, the little random act of kindness card was honestly the last thing on my mind. Monday morning rolled around and I woke up with a bit of a sore throat, but I shrugged it off because I had zero time for that nonsense with the busy week that was ahead of me. I made it through Monday. Success. Tuesday was full of studying. Even though it was only the second day of the week I was totally worn out. By Wednesday afternoon I had noticed that my throat was (not to gross you out) looking anything but normal. But I had prior commitments to this group project so I took some ibuprofen and headed to a friend's house to meet up with our debate group to finish our project. I was grouchy and my sore throat was worse. All I wanted to do was sleep until the week was over with.

I think my group caught on to the fact that I was not feeling so hot and they suggested that I take a little field trip to the walk-in clinic to get checked out. So I did. After getting my throat swabbed and gagging (like I do every time they make me do that stupid test) the results came back that I did in fact have strep throat. Perfect. I was exhausted, in the midst of a group project, still had to study for a test, and I was feeling pretty crummy to say the least. Fast forward to the next day. I went and took my nutrition exam (and avoided breathing my germs on anyone) and later that night did the group debate (which we Aced by the way!). Needless to say, I had never been so happy for a week to be over with...possibly ever.

Friday greeted me with a hug. I had felt like a giant elephant was lifted off of my shoulders after the week that I had had. I was so thankful and so ready to pack up my dirty laundry (because doing laundry at home is free-woo!) and went to pick up a PSL before heading home for the weekend. I was meeting my mom in Mattoon to run a few errands, so I picked up a coffee for her and a cakepop for my sister. As I waited in the drive-thru line I noticed the random act of kindness card that I was so excited about at the beginning of the week. I thought to myself Ok if someone pulls up behind me in line, I'll buy their coffee for them and give them the card. About a minute later a car pulled up behind me. But instead of there just being one person in the car, there were three people in the car. It was already going to cost a little bit more than my normal one latte because I was getting coffee for my mom and something for my sister. So I found myself thinking well maybe I'll just wait for another opportunity...unless, God, you really want me to pay for the whole car's order behind me. I battled back and forth in my head as I pulled up to the window. Sorry for your wait in line, your drinks and cake pop are on me!  I think my jaw actually dropped. I quickly accepted this as God's confirmation that I was supposed to pay for the car behind me. I quickly said well in that case, can I pay for the car behind me...oh and can you hand them this card too? The girl at the window smiled and kindly said yes. I drove away from Starbucks and my entire week that had been so stressful and full of tears and sickness was instantly turned around in those few seconds.

This random act of kindness was supposed to brighten someone else's day (which I really hope it did!) but it in turn completely brightened mine! How cool is God?! I really can't get over it. I hope this story can make you smile as big as it made me smile. Have a great weekend everyone, and if you haven't given out your card yet, I reeeally encourage you to do so. It may change your entire week. I know it changed mine!

xoxo LS


773e60d08eb11ecbe38af66290172054b3efd4a546dfef23c7